This morning’s work

We only had this morning to get things done in the garden this weekend – yesterday was taken up with sitting in a village hall listening to various talks about archaeology, which was very interesting but almost a shame when the weather is fine and part of you is thinking of all the things you could be doing instead. And this afternoon was rat cage cleaning time (and anyway the forecast was for rain) so we decided to get as much done this morning as we could.

In the front garden we went for weeding and defining the areas which will be flower bed, plus getting in a few plants. I also weeded the little troughs under the living room window and discovered that as well as the crocuses, there are some very tiny dwarf tulips in there too. In the main beds we have the tulips, sedum, pulmonaria, peony and wild violets that we knew about, plus a few forget-me-nots and a clump of something very sturdy which I thought at first might be lily of the valley but now I think the leaves look wrong.

I planted the box and the black lilyturf (ophiopogon), both of which will be happier in the ground. The lilyturf had lots of little baby plants forming around its edges, so I separated about a dozen of those and put them in another pot to grow on.

General photos:

SONY DSC

I know this looks like a pile of rubble. It is. The bare earth has become cat poop central, so we are trying to make it more difficult for them.

SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC

The lilyturf in its new spot, peony  at back right, violets everywhere

The lilyturf in its new spot, peony at back right, violets everywhere

Box at front left; otherwise this one's mostly pulmonaria

Box at front left; otherwise this one’s mostly pulmonaria

Baby lilyturfs!

Baby lilyturfs!

And today's mystery plant.

And today’s mystery plant. They sort of look like bluebells now, so that would be good too.

 

In the back garden, J continued digging over the area in front of the greenhouse and edged it with the edging stones we moved from the front garden. Then we planted up the dwarf rhododendron, the sarcococca and both polemoniums.

SONY DSC

 

The pots are there so we don't have lots of bare earth.

The pots are there so we don’t have lots of bare earth.

Dwarf rhododendron in the process of bursting into flower

Dwarf rhododendron in the process of bursting into flower

Next weekend we have no other commitments so we can spend a lot of time getting things done. We do need to go and get some supplies – gravel for the path, mesh to put under the compost bin – and some plants, which is always my favourite bit. We have decided to have herbs in pots, but I’ll wait and buy those in a month or so.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Gardening and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s