We’ve had a welcome return to warmer weather and sunshine recently, which has given me the chance to remove some of the summer bedding which had gone over and start planting the autumn/winter bedding instead, along with a few bits and bobs for early spring.
We went shopping last weekend and bought pansies, wallflowers and some little chrysanthemums. Yesterday I cleared away the asters, which have been gorgeous but have now given their all, and dead-headed the cosmos and the rudbeckia which are still giving, for the moment anyway. We also removed the last of the phacelia and cut back a few of the herbaceous perennials which are starting to die back and look untidy. Then J concentrated on clearing up dead leaves and cutting the lawn while I tried to find homes for the new little plants.
Apart from in one or two places, removing the asters didn’t really clear much space so I have had to squeeze things in a bit. I’m well aware, though, that once the cosmos and rudbeckia go and a few more perennials go into hibernation there will be a lot more room to fill. For the moment I have replaced asters with wallflowers and just squidged pansies and chrysanths in where I can, as well as moving some of the lychnis around (they are doing really well – I just hope they flower next year).
There were also bulbs to plant. The garden already contained lots of daffs and a few crocuses and tulips, most of which I dug up while re-establishing flower beds in April and May. Normally I wouldn’t bother lifting bulbs but in this case it was unavoidable. So the crocus all went back into the circular bed in the front garden, in amongst the wallflowers, and the daffs have gone here and there wherever I spotted a gap.
I jumbled up the wallflowers when planting them so the colours will be all mixed together, and I only have the vaguest idea where the bulbs are, so we’ll have some surprises in the spring.
A few pictures from yesterday:
So I’m pleased that it’s still looking reasonably colourful as we head into October.