It’s been a glorious day and we have spent almost all of it in the garden. Some serious weeding has been done, and a few plants have gone in the ground, plus I have made a start on my little alpine experiment.
As well as the alpines, yesterday I bought a Houttuynia cordata “Chameleon” to go in the front garden next to the peony. There’s a bit of a gap there and though it’s still sandy soil, like the rest of the garden, it also tends to be compacted and not very free-draining. So I added some grit in when I planted the Houttuynia. I’ve also planted out two artemisias which I grew from cuttings.
Some of the alpines have gone in the ground – two Rhodanthemums, “Casablanca” and “Marrakech”, a gentian, a phlox and a variegated alyssum. The others are in pots on the patio, in regular compost mixed with sharp sand and grit, and with a generous top dressing of grit. I found that the plants were too big to fit more than three in the pots which I’d had in mind for them, so at some stage I may go back and get some smaller alpines for the other pots.
So these are the alpines in pots:
And a few close-ups using the macro converter:
Some general views:
Various fruit-bearing plants are starting to look promising – the raspberry looks loaded as does the gooseberry, and the tomatoes have lots of flowers already. It also looks as thought we might get some apples, which will be really exciting if it happens.
A few highlights now, some with the macro converter and some without.
There were bees everywhere but they were very camera shy, so I’m pleased with that last photo.
After we’d finished tidying up we were able to sit and have a cup of tea on the patio, which is our reward of course!
Edit: yes, I have reported the rosemary beetle to the RHS 😉